In the fast-paced world of modern living, health is a major concern for most people. In this regard, effective waste management helps to keep you healthy and free from diseases that are caused by exposure to harmful substances.
Effective waste management involves proper segregation at source, collection, and transportation—ensuring waste is disposed of in the right way – which serves society as a whole. The benefits of effective waste management can be summarized as follows:
1) Proactive environmental protection – With a concerted effort, we can make our planet greener and healthier by reducing pollution levels like carbon emissions, greenhouse effect, etc., Moreover, recycling wastes help us reduce the pressure on natural resources like forests. Due to deforestation, many animals lose their habitat; hence, we must take care of and recycle waste in an effective manner.
2) Improved aesthetics – Effective waste management helps us keep our cities clean and free from rubbish that is thrown here and there on the streets, thereby improving the overall look of a city by several notches.
Also, improperly disposed of wastes such as dismantled electrical appliances, tires, etc., emit harmful gasses into the environment. Thus, with effective waste management, we can ensure a healthy living experience for ourselves and generations to come.
3) Increased productivity – With proper solid waste disposal systems in place, it is easy to improve the productivity of business locations since this reduces time spent taking care of serious issues like explosion or fire due to negligence of safety measures from improper waste disposal methods. In this regard, the benefits of effective waste management are manifold for both business owners and consumers.
4) Improved health – With proper disposal systems in place, it is easy to keep the surrounding environment clean. As a result, people living in this space benefit from improved health since they can breathe fresh air without any risk of contracting diseases like asthma, bronchitis, etc., due to exposure to harmful substances.
Moreover, with improper waste management systems in place near hospitals or schools where there is an increased presence of pregnant women or children who are most susceptible to infections caused by these things, life becomes more difficult for them than it actually needs to be.
5) Employment generation – With effective waste management methods, increased employment opportunities are created for the locals who can work as solid waste collectors or maintainers.
They also benefit from better salaries and other benefits like social security coverage offered by the government along with employment perks like maternity leave or medical facilities at their workplaces.
6) Improved public health – Most importantly, effective waste management helps us reduce major diseases like cholera, diarrhea, typhoid fever, hepatitis A & B (jaundice), etc., that spread through dirty water resulting from faulty disposal systems.
The impact of such diseases is far-reaching and can result in the loss of lives. In this regard, since people spend a major part of their time at home or outside their homes, it is important to ensure that the surrounding environment is safe from all risks associated with improper waste management systems.